We are happy to welcome our very own Acupuncturist and Lifestyle specialist, Lisa Seaman, L.Ac. to comment on meditative techniques. Use these simple steps even during the day to ward off disease exacerbating stressors!
1. Sit comfortably and quietly.
2. Tell yourself that you are going to use the next 5, 10, or 20 minutes to re-balance, to heal, to relax yourself.
3. Surrender the weight of your body, allowing the chair, or floor, to support you.
4. Close your eyes, gently cutting out visual stimulation and distraction.
5. As you inhale, repeat to yourself: “I AM”
6. As you exhale, say...“RELAXED.”
7. Continue to breathe normally not trying to change it in any way. Just watch it happening and continue to repeat: “I AM” with inhalation ... “RELAXED” with exhalation.
8. As your mind begins to wander, gently bring it back to the awareness of your breath and your statement “I AM RELAXED.” Be compassionate and loving with your "leaping frog" mind which wants to be anywhere but here.
9. Continue doing this for as long as you have established.
10. To conclude, discontinue the phrase and slowly stretch your hands and feet, your arms and legs, then your whole body.
11. Open your eyes a sliver at a time – like the sun coming up in the morning.
12. Continue on your way.
Here's to having a more relaxing, stress-free day!
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Mental Health, Division of Communications and Education–Plain Talk series, Ruth Kay, Editor.