Advanced treatment options for heavy menstrual bleeding
Questions and Answers: Heavy Menstrual Periods
There’s nothing normal about a heavy period. Approximately 1 in 4 women experiences abnormally long, frequent or heavy menstrual cycles. This condition is often called abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) or menorrhagia.
IS IT MY HORMONES?
If you are premenopausal, there are many things we need to explore, such as hormonal imbalance, fibroids, or other reasons why your bleeding is out of control. We're here to work with you, whether you desire hormone balancing, traditional medical therapy, dietary changes, or procedure based therapy.
At the Gynecology Institute of Chicago, we recognize that there are many factors and many solutions for your heavy or irregular bleeding. From antioxidant therapy to herbal remedies, we are actively researching at all times alternative options for heavy periods.
We will investigate your condition fully, offering on site lab testing and in office ultrasound for a quick results turnaround..
I'M DONE HAVING KIDS, BUT I DON'T WANT A HYSTERECTOMY. Minerva endometrial ablation offers a safe, effective and comfortable 5 minute treatment for heavy periods without need for a long recovery time, right in your Chicago Obgyn office. This in office procedure provides an alternative to hysterectomy for heavy bleeding with periods.
Endometrial ablation can do more than just stop the bleeding. Many women who’ve had the procedure say they are now able to spend more time at work and daily activities, and are participating in more social and athletic outings now that they no longer suffer from heavy bleeding from periods. They also report improved energy levels, better moods, and a boost in self-confidence. And many also had a significant reduction in painful periods and PMS symptoms like irritability.
We understand that high deductibles can keep you from seeking the treatment you need. When you have your endometrial ablation for heavy menstrual periods performed in our spa-like office in the convenient South Loop, you can avoid expensive hospital costs!
WHAT IS ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION?
Endometrial Ablation is a one-time, 5-minute procedure that gently removes the lining of the uterus (the part that causes the bleeding). The Novasure procedure can reduce or stop bleeding altogether. It's a less invasive alternative to hysterectomy, and avoids the potential side effects of hormone therapy.
IS ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION RIGHT FOR ME?
Women with heavy or long-lasting periods who do not wish to have children in the future may be candidates for the procedure. Your Chicago Gynecologist at the Gynecology Institute can discuss this more, but if you're sure you don't want any children in the future, and we have excluded more serious causes of heavy bleeding, you may be a good candidate for the procedure for heavy periods.
CAN I BECOME PREGNANT AFTER AN ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION?
Because endometrial ablation treats the lining of the uterus, your chances of getting pregnant after endometrial ablation are reduced. However, it is still possible to become pregnant if you're sexually active. A pregnancy after an endometrial ablation is very dangerous, since the uterine lining would not be able to properly support the fetus. It's very important to talk to your best Chicago Gynecologist about what birth control you will use after the NovaSure procedure.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER THE PROCEDURE?
Immediately after your treatment for heavy periods, some women may experience some cramping, mild pain, nausea, and/or vomiting. Most women feel normal and can resume normal activities within 1-2 days. Be sure to rest, drink plenty of water, and not engage in sex until your follow up visit. A watery and/or bloody discharge following endometrial ablation is expected. It could start anywhere from immediately after the procedure or last a couple of weeks. It could even come and go, increasing after certain more strenous activities. This is quite normal and can be expected with any endometrial ablation procedure.
WHAT WILL MY PERIODS BE LIKE AFTERWARDS?
Every woman is different. Plan to give your body about 3 months to fully heal on the inside and resume its normal cycle. After that, you will have a good idea of what your improved periods will be like. About 70% of women will not have another period. The remaining 30% experience markedly lighter, more convenient cycles.
ARE WOMEN HAPPY WITH THE PROCEDURE?
Yes! In a clinical study, 72% of women had NO more periods after having the Minerva endometrial ablation for heavy periods.